Are you in good health?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Your Health

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Ok
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

For a long time I had poor health, poor diet, lack of exercise, bad sleep.

After being saved and changing my thinking from an evolutionary adaptation perspective to a designed by God perspective I eventually started to actually wonder about the details of what food is, what it is made up of and how our body uses it. Partly (in regaining my health) to be of greater service to the Lord, partly for a better testimony and of course just wanting to be healthier in general.

After prayer I believe God lead me into an understanding of Intermittent Fasting, combined with Nutritional Ketosis, which for me seemed to be the optimal method for a quick recovery; and after adopting that strategy I lost 70lbs in 7 months with virtually no exercise, and without the fatigue and potential rebound of extreme calorie cutting, it's much better to exercise (high intensity) once you have lost the weight and healed your organs for a variety of reasons, but as I was losing weight I would do more and more low intensity exercise like walking.

All glory to God for the wisdom and the success.

Specifically: 
[Intermittent Fasting] I was eating generally one, sometimes two, meals per day with no snacks in-between 
[Nutritional Ketosis] trying to stay under 20-50g of NET(Total - Fibre, or sugar alcohols) Carbohydrate / day,
while having large salads or amounts of vegetables and or raw greens supplements to meet nutritional requirements.

If you attempt this after living your whole life running on constant sugar and carbohydrates 3 meals / day + snacks (like I had) the initial transition to fat burning will be rough, my strategy (after a few botched attempts) became to eat my last 'normal' meal late on Thursday and try to make it as far as I could on Friday water fasting, have a Keto meal and just crash, again fast as long as I could on Saturday eat Keto and crash again. generally adaptation would occur in 48-72 Hrs in this case the goal being fully adapted by Monday morning to go back to work. During the adaptation phase I'd try to stay as close to 0g NET Carbs / day rather than the normal 20-50, once adapted.

Supplementing electrolytes (mainly sodium, potassium but also the others), trace minerals, and B vitamins helps get through it, also providing an easily convertible source of Fat -> Ketones, in my case "MCT Oil" helps as well, especially if just resting for a few days isn't an option and you need to work look after the home / family etc...

In the beginning you will mainly be converting nutritional fat to ketones, but after a few weeks(months) you will be fully transitioned to the point of burning body fat for fuel when that is the case you can do long term fasts and barely feel it, or even feel better than normal.

The longest pure water fast I have done so far is maybe 4 full days and nights (eating part way through the 5th day) which felt great, not tiring at all.

The problem is most people enter into a fast with a pre-existing nutritional deficiency and the fast will exacerbate it, which can cause a lot of problems.

The primary effect of all this is to correct insulin resistance / pre-diabetes from constant blood sugar spiking with constant eating throughout the day for years, and associated organ damage.

As most of us know you generally can not trust the medical establishment, they have a multi-billion dollar incentive for keeping people just healthy enough to live, but unhealthy enough to require constant symptom management $$$.

It became clear that I was essentially going to have to become my own doctor, or rather rely on God's mercy and prayer for wisdom, as what better source for information than the designer himself, Jesus Christ.

To those with interest I would suggest start researching the symptoms associated with particular vitamin / mineral deficiencies and compare to your own health, or analyze your diet and it may become clear just from that what is lacking, also consider potential organ damage from past (or present) substance abuse, or environmental / chemical exposure, maybe you have even had things removed: Gallbladder Appendix Thyroid etc.

If you are currently taking prescriptions for anything that complicates things and each medicine has to be considered individually, how to not have adverse interactions and to gradually (or quickly) come off of it as necessary.

Here is a spreadsheet I made for myself as I was trying to correct my diet, perhaps some will find it useful even thought it is very lacking (centered around my personally preferred foods, and diet), and still a work in progress. Nutritional information can also vary wildly depending on the source of information but for the sake of maintaining a pattern I took all info from this website in portions of 100g, making a few exceptions if that site lacked the info I was looking for; also generally choosing organic over regular.

DOCS.GOOGLE.COM

Sheet1 Vegtables +,Peppers <a href="https://nutritiondata.self.com">https://nutritiondata.self.com</a>,MAX,RDA,Per...

Different tactics seem to work for different people it depends on current state of health, organ health, body weight, metabolism, so called genetic factors etc...

Some people are all about vegetarian / vegan, while some thrive on the carnivore diet, some people even seem to do well no matter what they eat.

I'm just sharing what worked for me and I'm curious what has worked (or not worked) for you, to anyone who has had or seeks victories from the Lord regarding their health.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm starting to get into other remedies but just starting out the learning process on that:

So far I've been experimenting with:

Various Tea's:
Green (antioxidants)
Black (antioxidants) 
Chamomile (for sleep / stress)
Dandelion (digestion)
Stinging Nettle (for kidney)
Lemon Balm (for sleep / stress)

Herbal or Enzyme or other Supplements:
Milk Thistle (for liver)
Choline (for liver)
Apple Cider Vinegar (digestion)
Digestive aid (digestion gallbladder / pancreas)
Valerian Root (for sleep / stress)
Ashwagandha (for sleep / stress)
Serrapeptase (for heart / inflammation)
Nattokinase (for heart)

I'm interested if anyone has experience with other useful herbs or other effective supplements.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Look into medicinal mushrooms such as - chaga, reishi, cordyceps, lions mane, turkey tail, etc. I have been using the tincture supplements every single day and it is a slow incremental increase of mental and physical health.  These drops also are good to shoot in your tea and all the alcohol in the tincture will evaporate. I think after 3 months of daily use is when it comes around full swing. Turkey tail also fights off and cures cancer. I am one month in and experiencing benifits which are life changing. I remember Bryan recommended camu camu powder (vitamin c) I take that as well it helps too. 

Edited by Shane M
  • Like 4

@Shane M Excellent I will look into that, are you taking tincture of all those listed daily, or you recommend a particular one to start with.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I've also been trying to learn about foraging wild edibles in general, 
herbs and perhaps eventually mushrooms also,
but will have to be quite confident before consuming wild mushrooms.

books1.thumb.jpg.4b17462a3c7e7044bd71e6252299654e.jpg

So far the only wild things I've found and eaten are dandelion, 
some red-huckleberries, and of course blackberries / salmon-berries
but I think nearly everyone is familiar with those plants.

Also want to learn trapping / fishing, coastal foraging.

Modern society has us so disconnected from,
and unappreciative of our food, so reliant.

• Like 1

Well I use a 7 mushroom tincture which has a mix of the top 7 medicinal mushrooms all in one, so I reccomend that, I will get you the link when I get home and look at the bottle. I also forage for wild edibles and mushrooms have made me the most nervous. However I make sure I know 100% that it is properly identified, and eat a small amount and wait an hour to make sure it sits right with me. I have a Facebook account dedicated to wild edibles, I reccomend you join all of the wild edible/ mushroom identification groups. I marvel at the information some of the experts on there have, they are very friendly. Our physical flesh is a fungal body, we share more commonalities with mushrooms than I ever thought. But yeah keep it up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
WWW.EBAY.COM

AVAILABLE IN 2 OZ, 4 OZ, AND 8 OZ BOTTLES. OST IMPORTANTLY:...

Heres the link, I ordered the 4oz mix of the seven types, I do remember my first 2 days taking it having this weird head feeling that felt like a backround "headache" but it went away after that. I think that is a normal side effect for first time use with medicinal mushrooms it is powerful stuff, I would start out with a dropper full in the morning and a dropper full at night. I already noticed my allergies are almost non existent wile people around me are suffering bad allergies, and I'm usually the one who has it the worst. Other cognitive functions are being improved as well such as focus, concentration, anxiety/depression doesnt feel the same, just overall clarity and sharpness. If you end up trying it let me know how it works for you one day. The funny thing is you cant even find these types of mushrooms in stores. I had a fun time researching each individual mushroom inside of the tincture and their benifits. 

• Thanks 1

I've not researched the Keto side myself, but have been intermittent fasting since November and have lost about 60 pounds. I really need to dive into the healthier eating/super foods side of things, but the legwork on researching some of these subjects is pretty massive. Maybe we should make a Healthy Living/Eating section of some sort?

On 7/7/2020 at 8:08 PM, Vancouver said:

I started researching hunting and trapping earlier this year myself. While I didn't get very far into the subject (I keep finding rabbit holes to go down 🙂), I got my state license and bought some traps, wire, and snares. Have you ever looked in to bushcraft?

• Like 3

@Adam Moore

I think many are into healthy eating / living, recovery so a section for that would be a good idea.

I really enjoy bush-craft in terms to trying to learn, but haven't done much more than hiking and basic camping etc...

Seems like it would be very beneficial to experience building a shelter from wilderness materials / eat from the land, for a period of time.

• Like 1

I'd love to build a healthy living/eating section if someone wanted to take the lead on designing what that section should look like and how it should be structured. I could put it all together.

We'd need to figure out what pages or databases we want, Food, Recipes, Keto Tracker, Home Remedies, Medicinal Plants and Mushrooms, etc. We'd need custom fields for the databases. For example, for the Medicinal Plants database, do we need fields for the common name, botanical name, description, medicinal uses, warnings, recommended dose, etc.

We can have record feeds from databases and forums as well, so if we had a Healthy Living page, we could have feeds on that page from the recipe database, the medicinal plants, a private forum, a links database, and so on. Categories and descriptions would need to be written, and we could add anything else that might be useful to the Body of Christ as well.

On the subject of bushcraft, I'm in the learning phase as well, haven't had much chance to get out and test what I've learned yet. The book "Bushcraft 101" by Dave Canterbury is a good resource, he goes over all the basic equipment you might need and touches on a lot of good points, foraging, trapping, hunting, water collection, shelter. He also has some other books focusing on certain aspects of bushcraft, like trapping, first aid, etc. His website www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/ has most of things he recommends in his books as well. It's pretty much a curated list of the best tools available for bushcraft, and has been a great time saver.

Another book  "Bushcraft 101 - Basic Guide to Survive in the Wilderness like an Expert" focuses less on the basics and more on practice, and is an excellent read or listen.

• Like 3

@Vancouver Very impressive spread sheet. I tried keto for the last 2 years. It was great at first and my allergies, eczema and a lot of other stuff was healed. Thank the Lord! A lot of the concepts are great like eating more animal fats, cutting out sugar and throwing out the garbage processed food. Though, a few months ago I felt the Lord telling me to go down a different eating path. I was starting to get obsessive with cutting out food groups and not thanking the Lord for all the food he has created for me to eat.  1 Timothy 4:4-5 KJV

Praise the Lord that it is working for you! I'm always overjoyed when someone is giving their all to the Lord even with their health/diet. I still keep some of the keto rules but have started to make real sourdough bread, enjoying more fruit and adding super foods to my day ( Maca, cinnamon, turmeric, reishi mushroom powder and Camu Camu).

I highly recommend the pumpkin spice smoothie Brother Bryan posted on his channel a year ago. My moms arthritis in her knees is so much better!!

To add to the book recommendations on this thread haha. I purchased Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon a few years ago. She gives recipes for traditional fermented food like sourdough, Sauerkraut, Kefir, bone broth and so much more. Her book is based on Weston A. Price's study on native people who eat traditional foods from their region. These people have no heart disease, cancer, diabetes and their teeth are perfectly straight with zero cavities. Once they introduce western processed food to the people, all these diseases become rampant among them.

@Adam MooreI second the idea for a food section. I have zero experience with computer programming but I would be willing to help with designing the section. If the Lord would have me do it. I will pray over it.  If the Lord and you say yes, I'm ready. Jesus Christ gave me a real passion for health and researching how to take care of the body.The Body of Christ needs to be healthy and ready for everything that is coming and to be a better testimony for our Lord Jesus Christ. 

Screenshot_20200713-170112_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 3
On 7/7/2020 at 5:08 PM, Vancouver said:

@Shane M Excellent I will look into that, are you taking tincture of all those listed daily, or you recommend a particular one to start with.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I've also been trying to learn about foraging wild edibles in general, 
herbs and perhaps eventually mushrooms also,
but will have to be quite confident before consuming wild mushrooms.

books1.thumb.jpg.4b17462a3c7e7044bd71e6252299654e.jpg

So far the only wild things I've found and eaten are dandelion, 
some red-huckleberries, and of course blackberries / salmon-berries
but I think nearly everyone is familiar with those plants.

I also just purchased a California foraging book. I see dandelions all over as well. How did they taste? 😊

My family and I went for a hike last week. For practice, I brought along the book to see if I could identify anything from my week or two of study. So, I found a plant which I was pretty positive was stinging nettle but didn't want to find out for sure 😏.

My mom didn't believe me when I said that they actually do sting. Well, she decided to test it out and was hurting for several hours. Haha my little brother still didn't think the sting would be that bad and disobeyed my mom and I. He picked up the whole plant and brought it to us. He learned the hard lesson of the consequences of disobedience...it just showed me to be extra careful when forgaing for wild edibles! 

@TriTaylor  Dandelion (eating the flower) by itself was quite bland and neutral, maybe very slightly bitter. Would likely not even notice adding the petals into a salad but I just ate them whole.

Just have to be sure they're not growing in contaminated (chemically treated / fertilized) soil or by the road etc

I have grown to like the taste of the dandelion root tea, one of my favorite teas's right now.

- - - - - - -

Hah, you were the wise one, it certainly has stinging in the name for a reason!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Vancouver said:

@TriTaylor  Dandelion (eating the flower) by itself was quite bland and neutral, maybe very slightly bitter. Would likely not even notice adding the petals into a salad but I just ate them whole.

Just have to be sure they're not growing in contaminated (chemically treated / fertilized) soil or by the road etc

I have grown to like the taste of the dandelion root tea, one of my favorite teas's right now.

- - - - - - -

Hah, you were the wise one, it certainly has stinging in the name for a reason!

I will have to try a dandelion salad soon. I do like the tea however. So good for the liver!

On 7/13/2020 at 8:16 PM, TriTaylor said:

I second the idea for a food section. I have zero experience with computer programming but I would be willing to help with designing the section. If the Lord would have me do it. I will pray over it.  If the Lord and you say yes, I'm ready. Jesus Christ gave me a real passion for health and researching how to take care of the body.The Body of Christ needs to be healthy and ready for everything that is coming and to be a better testimony for our Lord Jesus Christ. 

Screenshot_20200713-170112_Samsung Internet.jpg

We would love the help if your interested. I was really hoping someone with a passion for it would offer, as I still have quite a bit to learn in that area myself.

I can handle all the technical details and can do a far bit of customization(Pages, Databases), I just don't what all we need or how to go about doing it.

I've heard great things about Nourishing Traditions as well, wasn't it out of print for time?

Wow!! Pardon my enthusiasum, but This is completely up my alley!! Praise the Lord I am over joyed to see such talk about health healing and nutrition! This is a major passion of mine as I have battled health issues for many years now and have with the Lords leading and by his grace and mercy I too have been learning more about traditional ways of preparing foods! I make rye sourdough bread and all baked goods, I now do kefir and fermented vegetables! I too own Nourishing traditions and that has been such a blessing and help to me! My husband and I have a son who is on the spectrum and we have been trying to reverse this. I won’t lie Brethren we have fallen off the bandwagon a few times now 😔 My husbands current job has him working long hours and it’s just me and my 2 littles! And it is quite challenging indeed! Our youngest who is now a year old seems to be different from our oldest but I do see some things that raise a few red flags! 

Anyways as I mentioned I have struggled with many health issues but have been seeing massive improvements by focusing on traditional foods. We tried keto a bit and it just wasn’t working for us, before I became with child again I was doing some fasting and that was ok but as a woman I have noticed that fasting too much seems to do no good. By following a more traditional diet there has been major improvements in our digestion, few hiccups here and there but my anxiety has been getting better. Now I just need to work on my sleep! I would have to say that making home made sauerkraut and kefir is what has helped the most! As kefir is proven to help with insulin resistance and cravings and helps you feel fuller longer when you have some with your meals! I too have gone through very restrictive diets and found that I was becoming overly obsessive about it all. So eating more traditional has allowed me to be able to eat a wide variety of foods. I thank the Lord for his patience and his gentle guiding! He has helped us make connections with people in our area that I have been learning off of. The Lord provides what we need when we need it 😊 I would so love to share some of what I make with the brethren as it has been a blessing to me and my family that perhaps could help someone else! I want to help people, and some people around here accept and want it and others reject! They would much rather go to a doctor and have them give out some pill that’s supposedly going to help their condition! Complete and utter nonsense! 

I also have been learning over the years a lot about superfoods! The ones that we use almost daily are....maca, moringa, baobab powder, camu camu, and raw cacao. I usually make a superfood smoothie daily or a yogurt bowl. I have been making home made yogurt over the past little while and that has also been very helpful! 

I really want us to be a better testimony for the Lord!! This flesh is weak indeed! And there are times We give in! About 5-6 years ago my husband and I got saved and before that we were massive junk food eaters! We were eating so poorly! And drinking and smoking pot playing video games for hours on end and watching movies and the list goes on! And now things are completely different all thanks to the Lord!! I never thought I would be making my own sourdough bread and fermented foods! I was always scared of that stuff! But it’s really quite easy! Just takes some time and patience. Trial and error! 

I also agree that the body of Christ needs to be healthy and become more sharp less sluggish to be able to face what is coming in the future! And to be able to do the work of the Lord effectively! How can we if we are all hopped up on sugar and junk! I can’t yhink clearly on that stuff! If I have certain things from time to time I become useless! It’s unprofitable! I have been accused of making health an idol, but I know the Lord has been leading me all the way and changing me and helping me to do what I have been doing! 

Please pray for us, I want us so desperately to stay on track! And be more useful to the Lord! 

• Like 3

I suggest that you take a look at the oral health side of natural healing that most overlook, including myself.

Many people, make all kinds of changes in their diets and take good quality supplements but either ignore or don't pay proper attention to their oral health. And problems in the mouth can lead to all kinds of problems in the rest of your body.

Something I didn't really connect until I attended and listened to the presentations at the Holistic Oral Health Summit is that your mouth is the beginning of your digestive system. In fact, the mouth contains more bacteria than any other place in your body. It is also connected to the rest of your body through the nerve conduits including, of course, the brain because of the close proximity. (Yes, oral health and mercury toxicity have direct connections to diseases like Alzheimer's)

I learned some amazing stories of people with long term serious issues that saw a biological oral care dentist who properly treated a root canal or extracted tooth, properly eliminated mercury (amalgam) fillings and in doing so eliminated issues like cancer and heart disease.

If you have an oral infection that is dumping toxins and toxic bacteria into your system, you can take all of the supplements you want and change your diet as well and still not resolve your primary concern.

This is a neglected area of natural health care that took me a long time, thousands of wasted dollars with conventional dentists who are like secular car mechanics replacing parts with no concern for your overall health or their actions on both your short and long term health. Doctors and dentists are trained with the same mentality, money is just as, if not more important, than long-term results. I've been fleeced by them enough to know of whereof I speak.

They are having a replay of the oral health care summit which is free online starting August 1st. You can sign up for it here and download the free Holistic Oral Care book as a bonus: 

BIT.LY

The Holistic Oral Health Summit is online and FREE from July 20-26, 2020

Take advantage of this. I am still listening to the sessions and am learning things I am embarrassed to have missed since I have been around natural health for over 35 years. Wish I had known them sooner. It would have saved me an awful lot of pain and money, retained some teeth that are now missing and helped me resolve lingering issues. Proper dental health can help any age, but the younger you are the better simply because you will avoid mistakes or correct errors that much sooner and improve the health quality of your life for a longer period of time.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...