Entertainment in the life of a Christian

Question

Brethren I was wondering what you do to entertain yourselves and what you consider as appropriate entertainment. The Lord has convicted me of playing videogames and watching movies but truth be told now that the cold weather is coming in, I don't have much idea of what to do while relaxing around (aside from studying the Bible). I currently do nothing but watch videos on Youtube (news, Bryan's and other's studies, animals...), go for walks and play the piano.

Have you had a similar experience? Do you still play games or watch some movies if you consider them "clean" enough or do you consider everything carnal or occultic and go zero entertainment?

PS: Because my family members watch television I sometimes catch ads and stuff, and there's now this Mario game for the Nintendo Switch ad that really stings because I used to really like Nintendo games before I came to the Lord. Just a thought!

Edited by ryoji

8 answers to this question

Same here for Hollywood movies and TV. The Lord recently convicted my wife and I as well. I outgrew video games years ago. However I have a lot of the old, vintage Nintendo games from my childhood here and have been selling them off on eBay. Sometimes I feel a little of bit of nostalgia as I sell them but not often and not long lasting.

You nailed it on the head though. Youtube videos, walks outdoors etc. Playing instruments - but I don't know how). Reading the Bible and other books. Our ancestors lived thousands of years without Hollywood and video games. Why can't we?

• Like 1

We pretty much do the same, YouTube, go out in nature and reading, puzzles are good to do, things that challenge the brain! Learning a new skill is always good. What do you all think about playing cards? My husband and I still have a few card games and I am wondering if they are good to have around or not 🤔 Phase 10, Uno, Skip-Bo and regular deck cards...Also we have scrabble, I am keeping that to help with vocabulary and spelling for our oldest once he's able to read better and spell.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Gabrielle said:

What do you all think about playing cards? My husband and I still have a few card games and I am wondering if they are good to have around or not 🤔 Phase 10, Uno, Skip-Bo and regular deck cards...Also we have scrabble, I am keeping that to help with vocabulary and spelling for our oldest once he's able to read better and spell.

I'm not sure. Use your best judgement. If it is something that needs to be out of your life, the Lord will prune it out for you eventually.

• Like 1