ryoji

Crucifixes, Christ and Virgin images all around my home

Question

Brethren, I need your counsel regarding this. You see, my mother and I live with my grandmother in the same house, we have always had. Sadly, my grandmother has been taught since she was little into the Catholic system and she's still a Catholic nut. I tried witnessing to her and my mother, and while my mom supports me and agrees, my granny doesn't and attacks me saying I'm crazy.

I love her, but I'm sorry to say she's a bad person... My mom and I have a really uncomfortable relation with her, because she is so materialistic, egotistical, and also a liar and emotionally blackmails us. She's a tyrant and we can't do anything she doesn't approve (simplest stuff really, we can't even talk openly when we are at home, she's always putting us down and complaining about everything!) and if she knows we're doing something behind her back, she gets insufferably angry and won't ever attend to reason. What you would say a toxic person.

So the thing is, since the Lord came into my life, I have been cleansing my life from bad, sinful stuff (yugioh and pokemon playing cards, videogames and dvds still around but surely going away soon). Now the problem is that I could get rid of my stuff, but my granny being a Catholic has always had at home TONS of images and little figures of crucifixes, the virgin, angels, Christ, etc. around and now all that stuff is vexing me deeply. 

I feel like it's very wrong to have those things around. What should I do?? I pray the Holy Spirit guides me through your answers.

Edited by ryoji
  • Praying 4

11 answers to this question

I'm listening to this and following along in scripture, of course:

My grandpa is a Roman Catholic, but he also has Alzheimer's now - I know he's not saved. It is sad, but the truth. Some may understand the truth if they are still there - But they don't want it. Pray for her that she may turn around and her heart to be unhardened. There are some, even old, who come out of that system to the truth. 

My Grandpa has Old Catholic Bibles, think some from Ireland maybe too. He has a few Catholic items, rosemaries, and so forth. Mother, who is not Catholic, keeps a painting of "Mother Mary" that was done long ago (Old) and holds the picture in the bunny room. (Hold = Hanging on the wall). 

Edited by Piper LT
Resize letters
  • Like 1

The only advice I could think to give, is to fast and pray. Even if you don't know what to pray for, just pray, and be diligent in prayer. 

Romans  8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.  8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.  8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.  8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.  8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.  8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?  8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

I would advise spending time with your mom in your or her room where it would be less likely that the conversation would be interrupted. You may even want to go outdoors to study. If at any point your grandmother becomes combative or wants to argue, ask her to prove her points using scripture.

Revelation  9:20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:  9:21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

No matter how much God does or how much they are pricked at the heart, some will never accept the truth because they love their sin. One thing that I would definitely recommend for prayer... ask that God would reveal to her that her catholic relics are truly devils and idols. I will be praying for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ryoji said:

Brethren, I need your counsel regarding this. You see, my mother and I live with my grandmother in the same house, we have always had. Sadly, my grandmother has been taught since she was little into the Catholic system and she's still a Catholic nut. I tried witnessing to her and my mother, and while my mom supports me and agrees, my granny doesn't and attacks me saying I'm crazy.

I love her, but I'm sorry to say she's a bad person... My mom and I have a really uncomfortable relation with her, because she is so materialistic, egotistical, and also a liar and emotionally blackmails us. She's a tyrant and we can't do anything she doesn't approve (simplest stuff really, we can't even talk openly when we are at home, she's always putting us down and complaining about everything!) and if she knows we're doing something behind her back, she gets insufferably angry and won't ever attend to reason. What you would say a toxic person.

Well, brother I understand how you feel. Many of my family members are Roman Catholic or hold Catholic doctrine close to them. The best thing to do is to pray, be patient and hold fast to scripture. Of course show respect, because it is her home however, to help with connecting with her, you must find something that she has interest in. From there, she will slowly open up.

She thinks your crazy only because she didn’t  really had anyone to question her views before or was told to not to question it. All she is going is doubling down on her beliefs.

I know it’s going to be difficult but all you need to do is plant the seed; let God handle the growth. Hope and prays this helps. 

• Like 4

I prayed for you. My grandmother was a devout Catholic. She has passed away. I now reside in her former bedroom. I had to clean out a lot of drawers and bags full of stuff, and Catholic stuff. I've discarded of images of Mary, images of the queen of heaven, crucifixes, Catholic tracts and papers, Catholic pictures, etc. I have thrown all of them away. A lot of it I have in a bag waiting to burn it, but I will not suffer it to be a part of my life. I'm done with it. 

So, since your grandmother seems to be offering you room and/or board (I don't know what your living situation or arrangement is) she can have whatever she wants up/in her house. Even if you are paying rent, she owns it and if you can't live there that's not her problem. So, living amongst those Catholic images won't kill you. You'll have to decide whether you want to move or deal with it. She shouldn't force you to have those images in your room though, as it's your room. But she can make an argument that since you're not paying rent (if you aren't) that she can.

I don't know what your grandmother is like but from what you've described she sounds very mean and possibly evil, I don't have any good advice for dealing with that besides forgiving her and blessing and cursing not. Perhaps do good unto her too. So again, living amongst those things will not kill you, you just need to build up internal fortitude, and if you desire, when possible, move out. Until then, suffer, and have your faith tried. 🙂

Does she force you to adhere to her beliefs? Does she cram Catholicism down your throats? Does she force you to have Catholic icons and images in your own rooms? If you are paying her to live there, that's not cool. If she's letting you live there for free you can't complain to be honest, just do your own thing.

Edited by Sword & Stone 1611
  • Like 5

Thanks to all. I have tried to reason with her with the Bible but she dismisses it saying she knows what she knows and that she has her God and her beliefs and I have mine, so she won't listen to that. She was taught a way and now she says she's too old for someone as young as me (23) to be giving her lessons. I will pray about it again but I have for some time and nothing seems to be moving.

No thankfully she isn't religious. She hardly ever went to mass but she gets quite annoyed when I touch on faith and her images and whatnot. She's SUPER adamant when it comes to "her house" and the decorations. She got super mad when I removed a crucifix, an image of Mary from my room, and changed a painting of Christ on the wall.

However, I am not particularly worried about her attitude because quite frankly we had to get used to it over the years, but I was worried that having satanic Catholic images around interfered with my duty as a follower of Christ.

I read the Alberto comics and he explains how the cross is an occult symbol from Babylon and that the crucifix means death and attracts demons. Oh well let's see how it all ends up.

Edited by ryoji
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, ryoji said:

Thanks to all. I have tried to reason with her with the Bible but she dismisses it saying she knows what she knows and that she has her God and her beliefs and I have mine, so she won't listen to that. She was taught a way and now she says she's too old for someone as young as me (23) to be giving her lessons. I will pray about it again but I have for some time and nothing seems to be moving.

No thankfully she isn't religious. She hardly ever went to mass but she gets quite annoyed when I touch on faith and her images and whatnot. She's SUPER adamant when it comes to "her house" and the decorations. She got super mad when I removed a crucifix, an image of Mary from my room, and changed a painting of Christ on the wall.

However, I am not particularly worried about her attitude because quite frankly we had to get used to it over the years, but I was worried that having satanic Catholic images around interfered with my duty as a follower of Christ.

I read the Alberto comics and he explains how the cross is an occult symbol from Babylon and that the crucifix means death and attracts demons. Oh well let's see how it all ends up.

I sympathize with you. Glad you have learned to deal with her. Ask God to protect you from the demons if you are frightened. I forgot to say that I hate crucifixes, up until not too long ago I had one up, but I destroyed it. It is a symbol of a curse. And Christ is no longer dead or on a tree as well. "Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree". Crucifixes are symbols of a curse, an accursed symbol. They're really ugly and morbid IMO. A plain cross, if you must, is much more reasonable.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sword & Stone 1611 said:

A plain cross, if you must, is much more reasonable.

Is a plain cross* okay or should I get rid of such? 

Edited by Piper LT

9 minutes ago, Piper LT said:

Is a plain cross* okay or should I get rid of such? 

I don't mind them, I think they're fine. So long as it's not an object of adoration or worship, such a thing is not an idol. They might even serve as a reminder of Christ. I prefer wood though. I dislike silver, gold, or any other sort of elaborate crosses, such as in jewelry as well, my spirit doesn't like it, and many lost people wear silver and gold crosses as jewelry when they aren't even born-again. Many disgusting rappers and sinners wear silver and gold crucifixes and crosses. A humble wooden cross hung on a wall or worn on the person via rope is different than those other kinds.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sword & Stone 1611 said:

I don't mind them, I think they're fine. So long as it's not an object of adoration or worship, such a thing is not an idol. They might even serve as a reminder of Christ. I prefer wood though. I dislike silver, gold, or any other sort of elaborate crosses, such as in jewelry as well, my spirit doesn't like it, and many lost people wear silver and gold crosses as jewelry when they aren't even born-again. Many disgusting rappers and sinners wear silver and gold crucifixes and crosses. A humble wooden cross hung on a wall or worn on the person via rope is different than those other kinds.

Of course, one isn't to worship a golden, silver, wooden, stone image - Such is a given -  We are only to Worship the Lord thy God. 

-

Yet, thank you. I sometimes draw Crosses, rarely, but sometimes as small pictures and whatnot. I got one outside the house too, where neighbors can see. I wasn't sure if such was terrible due to what got stated. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ryoji said:

Brother, if you can talk to her about Cain. He was the first born, rebel and murderer. He's given as an example first for a reason. The first bad example. With the first good example Able. 

What was the difference between these 2, they were taught the same, same parents, they even knew the LORD; the difference was Cain did what he waned how he wanted and called it serving the LORD (if not he wouldn't of given a sacrifice, knowing what a sacrifice is what he gave isn't a sacrifice), while Able did exactly as the LORD commanded. 

You can also show her how Satan and his angels believe in GOD also, yet is that what JESUS truly wants.

GOD speed brother, it seems your grandmother has a strong character...well if that's the case you need to be stern with her, while still being kind and loving, like it or not she's your abuelita. Will keep praying for you.

I went through this with my grandmother, yet she shriveled up and died, waiting for her second death, unless she repented in the days she transformed, and couldn't even speak...she literally shriveled and shrank and was gone before she died.

• Like 1